The nail was just 1mm from entering Victor Benavidez's brain (PacificCoastNews)
Benavidez was fixing a roof when the tool fired by mistake, sending him falling backwards and firing a nail into his mouth. An 8cm (3.2in) nail stopped just 1mm from his brain. Doctors have said if it had travelled any further he could have been left blind, brain damaged or dead. He didn’t realise what had happened until he saw blood running out of his mouth.
The 28-year-old, of California, said:‘It didn’t hurt but I knew something was wrong.’ ‘Then I felt something with my tongue.’
He was unable to speak, so had to throw his hard hat at his brother to get his attention. ‘When I got to the hospital and the doctors saw the X-ray, they thought I’d tried to kill myself.’ ‘It was a total freak accident.’
Republished from metro.co.uk