According to a traditional story, the original potato chip recipe was created in Saratoga Springs, New York on August 24, 1853. Agitated by a patron's repeatedly sending his fried potatoes back complaining that they were too thick and soggy, resort hotel chef, George Crum, decided to slice the potatoes even thinner. Contrary to Crum's expectation, the patron (sometimes identified as Cornelius Vanderbilt) loved the new chips and they soon became a regular item on the lodge's menu under the name "Saratoga Chips". [wikipedia]
Lays potato chips have been in production since 1938. Today the company, Frito Lay, is one of the leading manufacturers of salty snacks in the world as well as in Russia. Delivery of chips, namely Lay's, in Russia began in the mid 1990's, and in 2002 opened its first factory, Frito Lay Kashira near Moscow.
1. Topic of today's reportage - a plant of PepsiCo for the production of potato chips Lay's, recently opened in the city of Azov, Rostov region. In addition, the plant produces crisps Hrusteam. Walk sequentially along the entire line production and consider it in detail.
Unloading, cleaning and temporary storage of potatoes
2. Every day here is unloaded nine 20-ton truck with potatoes. Potato conveyor conveyor enters the washing machine, which is used to clean water recirculation. Anything in the world, there are three such automatic car wash. The process of washing to remove physically impossible, everything is done in closed containers. After washing the potatoes are in temporary storage in bins - special tanks, from which, as appropriate, applied to the production.
Cleaning, sorting and cutting potatoes
3. Before, the tubers fall into a special machine for cutting, the inspector visually inspect the tubers going to tape, and if necessary remove visible defects.
4. By the way: For the production of chips is not suitable any potatoes. There are so-called chipsovye potato varieties that contain high amounts of starch.
5. All employees undergo periodic medical examinations and have a medical book, it is done to a sick man did not get to production. In addition, before entering the shop, everything must wash their hands.
6. Shoe potato occurs in abrasive drums batch. First, boot from the required number of potatoes in the weigh hopper, then there unloading the drum.
7. Directly cutting occurs mechanically by the rotation of a conical bottom of the drum. Inside cutting machine eight pairs of sharp blades that cut the tuber into thin slices. The thickness of each slice of less than two millimeters.
8. After cutting potato slices are received in the heart of the production line of chips - frying bath roasting slices and obtain basic chips. This equipment has no analogues have been created specifically for the plant PepsiCo and show it to be.
9. Thinly sliced potatoes come in a bath of oil, which are fried for three minutes at 180 degrees Celsius. Quality oil, as well as high-quality potato - the basis of the taste of potato chips.
10. The factory has been improved recipe, using a special blend of vegetable oils, including sunflower oil vysokoolinovogo local production, through which 25% reduced content of saturated fat in the final product.
11. Daily at the plant being tested quality products. Check how the basic chips, only coming out of the oven, and fully packed bags.
12. At this stage in fried potato chips are added to the special aroma and flavors, which are based salt.
13. Simultaneously, the production line can go in three flavors.
14. By the way: The plant is designed to produce 50,000 tons of finished products per year. Some kind of fantastic figure, in my opinion.
15. For the three conveyors ready chips fed to the packaging. First is the distribution and weighting.
16. BTW: Please note that the entire length of the line are very few employees. Here we use modern equipment that works in a fully automated mode. In addition, it is important that as little as possible people in contact with the finished product.
17. Weight machine weigh multiple portions and calculate the best combination of weight, which is the most accurate weight in order to comply with and listed on the package weight.
18. If we consider that the net weight of one packet is 28 grams, you can submit a precision adjustment of the equipment.
19. The weighted portion is unloaded at the packing line.
20. Portion control is the presence of impurities (metal detector) and falls into the bag, which by this time prepared the packaging machine of the packaging materials (foils). Before foil lids seam in the package supplied food nitrogen, which helps secure the necessary shelf life. Weighing and packaging equipment operates synchronously at speeds up to 80 packages per minute.
21. Packed packet of crisps goes to operators who manually stacked packages in cardboard boxes.
22. Boxes of chips formed on the pallets and transported to the warehouse.
In parallel, there is a line of crackers Production
24. Flour mixture with water is fed into the extruder, is heated and mixed thoroughly. Dried out from the extruder in the form of bundles, which are cut to size with rotating knives.
25. The next stage of biscuits are dried in an oven and hit the area causing seasonings.
26. Packaging line is identical to that which produces chips.
27. Pouring in machine.
28. Weigh-in takes place in a similar weight machine, which generates several portions, and selects the best combination for sealing the package.
29. Ready-made croutons.
30. Performance of a single line - 12 tons of finished products per day.
31. Employees are forbidden from wearing watches and jewelry, nail polish and banned artificial nails, hair must be covered mesh so that nothing fell on the conveyor.
32. In addition to palatability and visual matching slices of the accepted standards, is check the quality of packaging. The seam should be flat and opened a pack should be one motion exactly along the seam, without breaks.
33. Packing test.
34. Factory team. By the way, the production line open around the clock in three shifts.
35. View of Plant
36. Appearance of the plant .
*Don't Miss Any New Posts-Get By Email-Send Email Address Below* Click activation link in email Check spam folder if you don't see email Plus we have been known to give out a free OMGshots T-Shirt Randomly :)